MEET THE DEPARTMENT MANAGERIAL TEAM:
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE – MR. DEDU SAKALA MWENSE
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
FUNCTION OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Finance Department is one of the departments here at Kitwe City Council. It is responsible for for aiding the local government with financial support. the measure taken by KCC are:
- Financial Management – Improve financial management systems to enable
councillors and managers to readily obtain accurate financial information
and manage financial resources better.
• Revision to the budget format and process.
• Establishment of an Internal Audit function reporting to an Audit Subcommittee of the Finance and General Purpose Committee.
• Actions to bring written and audited accounts up to date.
• Procurement procedure improvements.
• Installation of an integrated financial management system on a PC-based
- Revenue – Focus on improving collection of revenues from the existing main
• Cost / benefit analyses of all revenue sources.
• Establishment of a performance-based Revenue Unit reporting to a
Revenue Sub-committee of the Finance and General Purpose Committee.
• Improving the integrity of the property Roll and personal levy databases.
• Enhancement of billing systems including introducing protocols for action
• Action against arrears using external debt collectors.
• Improvements to asset management system.
• Amendment of leases on council-owned bus stations, shops and kiosks.
• Revision of the market levy system.
• System changes in the issuing of licenses and certificates.
- Expenditure – Downsizing and cost-saving measures to bring expenditure in
line with actual income.
• Improved debt management.
• Disposal of non-core functions and outsourcing of certain core functions.
• Disposal of loss-making commercial undertakings.
• Revision to personnel conditions of service.
• Establishment of downsizing funding measures.
• Participation of the private and community sectors in service financing and
• Better control over council motor vehicles.
- Financial Management Capacity – Building capacity of councillors and
managers in financial management.
• Financial management training for councillors.
• Financial management training for managers and staff.
• Training in revenue collection systems and procedures.
• Training in expenditure control.
CONTACT DETAILS OF THE MANAGERIAL TEAM