History Of Kitwe City Council
Kitwe City council was established in the year 1967. This grand official opening was commemorated by the first president of Zambia the late Dr. Kenneth Kaunda. It is a local government that makes declarations, policies and legislative changes to aid in the social economic development of its residents and the nation at large. Its main derivative is to keeping with the spirit of the founding fathers (and mothers), as it brings into fruition Kitwe’s motto: “Let us build us a city”.
Kitwe City Council is the supreme policy-making body at local level. It is responsible for all aspects of city planning, development and service delivery. The Council formulates local policies and approves district development plans. It also discharges municipal functions including refuse collection, street cleaning and lighting, promotion of public health, maintenance of roads, and other services as documented in the sixty-three functions of local governments in Zambia.
Our Vision: The city of Kitwe shall be a development-oriented, environmentally clean, appealing and hospitable place for residents and visitors.
Our Mission: To improve the quality of life of the people of Kitwe through the development of a sustainable economic, environment and the provision of quality affordable social services and infrastructure, with the active participation of all stakeholders.
Value Statement: In carrying out our mission, we will uphold the under-listed values:
- Quality of Service: Our guiding principle is to provide efficient, effective, reliable, sustainable and equitable services to the residents of Kitwe.
- Good Governance and Democracy: We undertake to foster an enabling environment for all stakeholders to participate in decision-making and implementation of development projects. We also undertake to execute our duties in the context of our democratic mandate and ideals.
- Value for money: We undertake to provide the most cost-effective services and realise value for money at all times.
- Transparency and Accountability: We undertake to conduct all business in the most transparent and accountable manner.
- Motivation: We value the contributions of our staff, institutions and residents in the provision of services.
- Hospitality: We welcome and value the company and contribution of our visitors and investors in the development of our city.
On 2nd December 1990, our late founding father unveiled a statue presenting the strong bond between mother and child advocating for unity here at Kitwe City Council. This representation has brought fourth cooperation, unity and stability withing the Council as it serves and provides for it’s Kitwe residents.
Unveiled by His Excellency The President Dr Kenneth Kaunda On Sunday 2nd December, 1990.